We heard from the neurologist today. Actually his nurse called us. The MRI shows that the right side of Kenny’s brain did not develop correctly while he was in Tammy’s tummy. What this means for his future development is not clear. The situation is as the nurse put it a matter of “waiting and see what happens.” On the positive side, the condition is not progressive or degenerative, so his brain is not going to get worse.
So again, just pray that we would have peace and the ability to trust. Thanks for all of your prayers. Things could have been worse, and we hope that we can remember that. He is a great baby, alert and full of smiles and laughs. We thank God for him everyday.
We didn’t find out anything new today about Kenny. We might have to wait two weeks until our appointment with the pediatric neurologist. Hopefully we will be able to get some info before that. You can pray that we would have peace and patience while we wait.
Kenny is all done with his MRI and we are now at home. Everything with regards to the MRI went smoothly and he actually seems to be back somewhat to normal (he was nice and content on the drive home and even fell asleep).
We did talk with one of our pediatricians about the scans. He said the radiologist who read the scans (so not a neurologist) said that we can rule out stroke and any sort of tumors. So that is good news. What the radiologist did see was that there are some structural abnormalities with the right side of Kenny’s brain (the side that would affect the left side of his body). What the radiologist and the pediatrician don’t know is what are the ramifications of the structural differences. We hopefully will hear from the neurologist yet today or tomorrow.
We will leave you with a picture of Kenny from the recovery room. It took a while, but he finally started to feel ok enough to give us a smile. The bandage on his right hand is just there to keep the IV in place. It kind of looked like a little cast.
Just a few things to keep in prayer for tomorrow. Kenny’s MRI is at 10:00 am, but we need to be to the hospital at 7:45 for prep and then he will see the anesthesiologist at 9:00. Since he will be put under, he can’t eat anything solid after midnight (which is actually not a big deal), but he can’t drink anything after 4:45, which is a bigger deal. We will get him up at 4:15 tomorrow morning and feed him as much as we can and hope it kind of lasts for 7 hours until he can eat again.
We don’t know how much we are going to find out tomorrow. We don’t see a neurologist until the end of the month, so we don’t know if someone else will “read” the MRI tomorrow and give us some information, or if we will have to wait. Whatever we find out we will be sure to let you know. Thanks for your prayers.
Kenny has been having trouble using his left hand to reach and grab onto things. We were in to the doctor today and they are concerned that he may have had a stroke right around the time of his birth. Kenny will have a MRI on Tuesday and this should give us some indication of if a stroke occurred. So if you could remember Kenny in your prayers. For the MRI he will be sedated, so we pray that goes well. And we are also hoping to have some clarity on what is wrong and what we should do to proceed.